Guideline For Storing Open Red Wine
It has been of popular opinion that once you open a bottle of wine, you should finish it that same day, because once wine is opened and exposed to oxygen, its taste and smell begins changing. However, that isn’t completely true – you don’t have to finish the entire bottle all at once. You can learn how to safely store it for later, while preserving its taste and texture. There are some things you need to know about proper wine storage as well as the timespan they will last after being opened.
By placing opened wine in the fridge can allow it to last for about 3 to 5 days, but there are ways to make it last even longer. Here are some tips that can help you to keep it fresh after you’ve opened it up:
- Store it upright so that you can minimize the surface area exposed to oxygen.
- Ensure that you don’t expose it to drastic shifts in temperature, which may damage the wine. Never go from cold to hot, vice versa.
- Use luke warm water (water that is just a bit warmer than room temperature) to warm up the bottle.
- Ensure that you don’t store wine at temperatures that are higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Always remember to store it away from open windows, so that it won’t get discolored or damaged by the UV rays of the sun.
- Remove the wine from the bottle and put it into smaller container so that there is as little exposure to oxygen as possible.
- Consider investing in a proper, reliable wine preservation system to store your wine in after opening it.
There are some opened wines that are going to last longer than others, even after they have been stored properly. Some of the red wines that tend to spoil the quickest after being opened are listed below.
- One of the red wines that is most sensitive to air exposure is Pinot Noir.
- Wine that is over 8 to 10 years old can go bad very quickly.
- An even more delicate wine is organic wine or sulfite-free wine.
- Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Grenache and other light colored wine varietals may go bad very quickly as well.
If you are looking for affordable storage during a move or for those extra items you want to hang onto then check out our storage facility in New Jersey for climate controlled and safe self-storage in New Jersey and surrounding areas. We have affordable storage units for any budget to store your good in a state-of-the-art storage unit.