The Proper Way To Store Wooden Furniture In A Storage Unit
If you’ve got wooden furniture that you’re not using right now, then it’s a good idea to store it away safely in order to ensure that it doesn’t get damaged. One of the best ways to keep your wooden furniture safe is to store it away in a self storage unit. You may think it’s a hassle to do that, but it’s better than stacking them away in the open and letting them deteriorate. We’ll show you the things that you need to do in order to store your wooden furniture away in your storage unit.
- Treat your wooden furniture before you store it away so that it won’t dry out and begin to split and crack. Furniture polish should be used to add moisture to the wood before storage.
- Use climate controlled storage to prevent drastic temperature changes that can cause wooden furniture to expand and contract. Expansion and contraction of wooden furniture can cause it to crack, weaken or deteriorate in appearance. Humidity in the environment can result in the growth of mold or mildew on your furniture as well.
- Be sure to disassemble your furniture before you store it away, so that you can safely store the smaller parts away and make better use of space as well.
- Try to make sure there’s sufficient space in the storage unit to store your wooden furniture, so that they don’t get rubbed up against each other and become damaged.
- Always place protective covering over your wooden furniture to prevent them from getting damage while they’re in storage. Use furniture pads, cloths or moving blankets to do that, and never ever cover your wooden furniture with plastic or else that will create condensation and cause the wood to swell.
- Ensure that you set your wooden furniture on top of block or planks, instead of directly on the floor. That way, you can avoid damaging it in the event of flooding, condensation, etc.
If you are looking for affordable storage during a move or for those extra items you want to hang onto then check out our storage facility in New Jersey for climate controlled and safe self storage in New Jersey and surrounding areas. We have affordable storage units for any budget to store your good in a state-of-the-art storage unit.